Korankei Gorge vs. Obara Shikizakura: Toyota City's utterly popular spot for autumn leaves!
When the matter is "Koyo" - the reddish maple leaves of autumn - Toyota City's pair of pride spots, Korankei Gorge and Obara, certainly comes to mind. Both places hold Autumn Festivals simultaneously from November 1st to 30th, for a whole month of attractions and sightseeing: Korankei, where the beautiful scenery changes fantastically from day to night, and Obara, where the Shikizakura Four-Seasons Cherry Blossoms compete fiercely for its beauty against the equally gorgeous fall leaves.
Every year, such beauty increased the popularity of both places, causing congestion and traffic jams. However, in November a Direct Route Bus connecting Yakusa Station to Korankei begins full operation, running the shortest, congestion-free route. Another route connects Korankei and Obara, allowing visitors to tour both places in the same day. Make sure to visit Korankei and Obara, both now much easier to access!
Korankei - wonderful whether during the day or at night
The gorge area of Korankei is said to have about 4,000 trees of Japanese maple trees including "Iroha-Momiji" (Acer palmatum), "Omomiji" (Acer amoenum) and eleven subspecies and variations of "Kaede." During the day, enjoy the tinted hillsides and their upside-down counterparts reflected on the river waters, and in the evening, the fantastic sight of the forest lit-up by the yellowish artificial illumination that turns it into a fantastic sight.
Korankei Maple Leaves Festival (Korankei Momiji Matsuri)
This event takes place at the Korankei Square (Korankei Hiroba) and features, among other attractions, "taiko" Japanese drums performances, "ochakai" green tea service, an earthenware and pottery exhibition, and more. Made lively by the gentle crowd, upon sunset all the lights come up and the fantastic illusion of "Yama-Moeyuru" (Mountain on Fire) begins.
Shikizakura of Obara - the great collaboration between Koyo and Sakura
The Shikizakura - Four-Seasons Cherry Blossoms - trees of Obara Area give the graces of their flowers twice a year, in spring and in autumn. Currently numbered at about 10,000, those trees bloom when the Koyo (tinted maple leaves) of the countless maple trees planted in intermingled fashion among the Shikizakura reach the peak of their beauty, and both paint the entire Mt. Satoyama hill surface in vivid colors that leaves visitors stunned and speechless. At the nearby Senmi Shikizakura-no-Sato, another 1,200 Shikizakura help in augmenting the absolute gorgeousness of Obara.
Obara Shikizakura Festival (Obara Shikizakura Matsuri)
Used and beloved by the local townsfolk as a place of gathering and relaxing, the Obara Fureai Park is the central hub for this event which encompasses several attractions on the satellite venues of Washi-no-Furusato (Obara Paper Art Museum), Hokubu Seikatsu Kaizen Center (Obara North Area Live Improvement Center), Senmi Shikizakura-no-Sato (Senmi Shikizakura Village). To cover the distances between each venue, visitors may use the free shuttle bus "Shikizakura Kururin-Bus."
Access map 2019
When going to Korankei, use the handy direct route buses! Check below!
Korankei - Yakusa Station Shuttle Bus
Centrair-Toyota Meitetsu Limousine Bus
- Koromo Matsuri, Toyota’s Traditional, Cultural Festival
- Held annually on the third weekend in October, the Koromo Festiva…
- Asuke, Korankei, It’s an Experience, Not a Side Trip!
- Asuke offers history, culture and stunning natural scenes. Visit …
- Autumn In Toyota City's Stunning Korankei Gorge and the Twice-a-Y…
- While Toyota City in Aichi Prefecture is famous for its cars, the…
Spot Popularity Ranking
- Korankei Maple Festival (Korankei Momiji Matsuri)
- Korankei is known nationwide as a place to go and see autumn leav…
- Toyota Mikawa Highlands Adventure
- Enjoy experiential outdoor activities such as boarding a Hot Air …
- Obara Shikizakura Four-Season Cherry Blossom Festival
- Japan is famous for its cherry blossom in spring and autumn leave…
※ Ranking is weekly total.
Season's Recommendations Special Feature
- From Retro to Modern: Toyota’s Picturesque Architecture
- A large number of buildings designed by famous architects are to …
- Toyota's Scenic Spots
- Spectacular scenery abounds in Toyota, and seeing these natural s…
- Recommended for Toyota Sightseeing Travel by Sightseeing Taxi!